The percentage of burglaries that are residential in the United States.
Burglars opt for a "Smash and Grab" to be in and out before alarm systems trigger and Police are dispatched. Jewelry, Electronics and Petty Cash are the primary targets in "Smash and Grab" burglaries.
There are several options to reduce the risk of "Smash and Grabs" at your property.
1. Sirens- 75% of deterred burglaries can be credited to an audible alarm. Sirens and Strobes are crucial components when deterring a burglar to pursue the "Smash and Grab"
2. Signs/Stickers- 60% of burglars say they would seek an alternative target if a property is secured with an alarm system. Displaying signs and stickers showing the public your property is secured is a great way to prevent burglaries from the start.
3. Alarm Present- 80% of burglars say they would first determine if a property was alarmed before attempting to break in. This follows Tip #2 in displaying proudly that your property is secured by a monitoring company.
Homes without an alarm system are 300% more likely to be victim of a burglary.
Only 17% of residential homes in the United States currently have a Burglar Alarm System. With the majority of the public not currently being secured by a monitored alarm system, burglars have substantial time to search the premise and find items of consequence without being disturbed.
Residential Burglaries can be prevented several ways:
1. Alarm System- There is a common misconception that we hear in the security industry on an everyday basis: "I have a big dog who protects my house" or "Smith and Wesson protect my home". Unfortunately neither of the two is a real security blanket for a home as both are easily defeated. Dogs are typically distracted fairly easily or let loose by an intruder to bypass.
Firearms, while great for personal protection, are unfortunately are not an antiquate source of protection for your valuables while you are not home. In fact 60% of burglaries occur during the day when the 9-5 person is at work. Installing an alarm system can aid in the quick deterrent of a burglar with use of sirens and strobes, as well as dispatching police to inspect the premise.
2. Door Locks- 30% of burglaries occur through an unlocked window or door. This is a very easy entry for a burglar and they can get in and out with no disruption. Checking all windows and doors before leaving the property is a great way to secure your home.
3. Lights- Burglars tend to break into windows or doors in discreet locations. They prefer dark areas and larges bushes to stay out of sight from neighbors. Installing motion lighting around the perimeter of a home helps reduce the dark areas burglars prefer.
The discount a typical Homeowners Insurance Company provides for a monitored alarm system.
There is a reason behind Homeowners Insurance Companies providing homeowners with discounts up to 20% on their policies for monitored alarm systems. The statistics do not lie, and insurance claims for burglaries result in more than $3.1 billion per year! Homeowners Insurance Companies want to reduce that number significantly and to do that, they provide their customers with these discounts.
Contact your insurance agent today to find out if you qualify for this discount.